Friday, July 20, 2012

Makeup Starter Kit

Do you guys wanna know a secret? I don't post fashion related things anymore cause I'm really fat -- and it's kind of depressing and disgusting (for me) to look at. Haha! I'm not posting this to get any pity from you guys! No, no. I'm just saying it as a matter of fact, and I've promised to myself that I'll post outfit stuff once I'm back in shape. :) Instead, I'll be posting makeup related things (which is really my passion) :) Hope you guys don't get too bored! 
PS! Keep scrolling cause I have a surprise at the end :)

I've posted some high-end and drugstore products on here :) I'll also list alternatives!

1. Liquid Foundation

This is the only product you will see me splurging on because of how essential it is to me. The benefit of wearing a liquid foundation is that it covers up all the imperfections of my skin and tops it off with a new natural layer that somehow protects my skin from dirt! Compared to a powder foundation, it'll absorb better into your skin creating a really natural beautiful look. 

RECOMMENDATIONS: There are different kinds of foundation for different skin types, for those who have dry to normal skin I'd suggest you check out Nars Sheer Glow or Neutrogena Healthy Skin and for those who are more problematic like me and have oily skin I suggest you use MAC Studio Fix or Revlon Colorstay.

Tips: If you want to know the perfect foundation for you, go to a MAC cosmetics store and ask the makeup artist to swatch you for your shade. After go on over to temptalia.com and check their foundation matrix to see all the compatible shades with your skin from different brands! :)

Revlon Colorstay in 200 Nude (MAC equivalent NC25)

2. Compact Powder

The powder photographed below is from MAC which is actually a full coverage foundation as well! However, I don't like using it alone as it's hard to work with as a foundation -- I often use this to set my foundation and will only use it as a foundation if I'm in a rush. Now the beauty of compact powders is that they are able to soak up the oil in your face and remove that overly shiny look you get. This is best for people who have generally oily skin, and for those who don't have problematic skin, I still suggest that you get a compact powder for quick touch ups -- preferably in a sheer finish just so it gets rid of oiliness on the face.

RECOMMENDATIONS: True Match compact powder by Lóreal, Stay Matte by Rimmel, Translucent Mattifying Powder by Elf

MAC Studio Fix in NC25

3. Concealer

With concealers, I really have no preference be it liquid or creams just as long as they're full coverage and as long as I don't have to put on too much for it to conceal imperfections with my skin. I know that most of you guys (I'm guessing people who read my blogs are either students, or working already) spend sleepless nights trying to finish all kinds of requirements and wake up with dreadful dark spots under your eyes or worst, catch a pimple from all the stress! Fear not, for concealers are with you. I have been saved by this beauty product since highschool, and it really works wonders. I use a lighter shade for under my eyes, to make it look vibrant, and use a skin tone shade for blemishes -- be sure NEVER to put the light shade concealer on your blemishes because it will only emphasize it. If you've got good skin with just eyebags, then I suggest you only use a concealer. I've seen so many youtube makeup gurus just using concealer as a base for their face for a more natural look and it also feels lighter on your face.

RECOMMENDATIONS: YSL Touche Eclat, Sonia Kashuk Hidden Agenda Concealer Kit, NYX Concealer in a Jar

MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer in NC30

4. Eyebrow Pencil

I honestly would not know what to do with my life if it weren't for eyebrow pencils, eyebrow powders and eyebrow mascaras. Your eyebrows really create a different face for you -- like me, I have a round face, and by creating a high arched brow I'm able to elongate my face and make it look less round. There are many different eyebrow shapes you can create with an eyebrow pencil, and the best use for them is to really fill the sparse areas in your eyebrows with and make them look fuller. Your eyebrow pencil shade should be two shades lighter than your hair color if you have dark hair -- and as for blondies, I'm really not sure! You can top it off with eyebrow mascara so that the hair matches the shade of your pencil, but that isn't necessary for all. 

RECOMMENDATIONS: MAC Eyebrow Pencil, Revlon Brow Fantasy, Maybelline Define A Brow

Maybelline Define A Brow in Dark Blonde (Great dupe for MAC Lingering)

 5. Neutral Eyeshadows

Simplicity is key -- that's how I'd like to put it. But being simple doesn't mean you're not allowed to wear eye makeup! The trick is finding an eye look that still looks very natural and fresh, and that's exactly what you get when you go for neutral shadows. I have a million palettes of different neutral shadows from numerous drugstore and high-end brands and this is something I'm really an expert on, I must say. Neutrals look good on anyone no matter what skin color they might have, and that's why this is a MUST in every girl's make up kit!

RECOMMENDATIONS: Wet n Wild Walking on Eggshells, Benefit's Big Beautiful Eyes, Sigma Bare Palette 
Maybelline Chai Latte Quad and NYX Trio in Dandy

6. Eyelash Curler & Mascara

The eyes are the window to the soul as they say -- and if people are gonna look into your soul, better have a great entrance! Your eyelashes brighten up your eyes and make them look big and beautiful! For girls with big eyes, mascara is not your enemy! If anything, they save you from people staring at your eyeballs and thinking "Oh god look at what big eyeballs she has!" instead with that extra layer of mascara people can say "Look at how her mascara brings out her eyes!" Haha! Especially for chinky eyed girls,this will really make your eyes open (no pun intended!) :)

RECOMMENDATIONS: Maybelline Great Lash, Maybelline One by One Volum' Express, and Maybelline Falsies, Fairydrops mascara

ELF Eyelash Curler and Maybelline One by One Volum' Express

 7. Eyeliner

Often times, I skip this part when I'm putting on my makeup and I realize that everytime I do, I regret it! Especially for us Asians who have generally smaller eyelids, eyeliners can create a different shape for your eyes -- it can make them look longer and sometimes bigger! I prefer doing a winged liner because it makes my eyes pop. Try doing different eyeliner styles on yourself! Photographed below is a liquid liner and a pencil eyeliner, however I really prefer gel liners. They're longer lasting, smudge less and are easier to control!

RECOMMENDATIONS: Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Liner, Revlon Colorstay Eyeliner, Maybelline Line Stiletto

24 Hr Brow&Lash Water Strong Liquid Liner from Sasa HK and Maybelline Expert Eyes

8. Face Primer

 For those who have imperfect skin, and huge pores, face primer will really save you when you put on liquid foundation! When putting on foundation the product goes into your skin unevenly and you'll see that the foundation looks "splotchy" on your skin. By putting on a primer, it will create a new layer of your face that's even so that your foundation can glide on smoothly.

RECOMMENDATIONS: MAC Prep and Prime, Revlon Photoready Perfecting Primer, Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, Laura Mercier Foundation Primer

Benefit's The Porefessional

9. Moisturizer with SPF

Moisturizer's have a lot of benefits like nourishing the skin and hydrating it (something that we really need living in this tropical country), it can reduce the size of your pores, it serves as a protective layer on your skin so that dirt won't get in, and protects it from the sun (if you use one with SPF)! You need this especially if you'll be putting on foundation and powder which can really dry your skin out!

RECOMMENDATIONS: Philosophy's Take A Deep Breath, Lóreal Hydrafresh, Clinique's Moisture Surge

Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture with SPF 15

 10. Neutral Lipstick

Pinks, reds and other wilder colors are for another day, but for your basics I suggest that you stick to a neutral lip color -- one that's closest to your natural lip color just to give it a bit of definition. I prefer matte lipsticks over those with frost finishes. My personal favorite is NYX soft matte lip cream! It looks and feels great!

RECOMMENDATIONS: Wet n Wild, Revlon, NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream, MAC

Revlon's Mauve It Over and NYX's Stockholm

That's it for today! BTW, I'm planning to have a livestream show every weekend of makeup tutorials and questions that any of you might have regarding certain products! Tweet me @wizCARLIEfa or comment below if you'd like for it to happen or if you have questions already! :)

xx

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog, can i just say. Nabasa ko na ata lahat ng post mo! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gette, ikaw lang talaga nagbabasa nito. Sure ako :( Haha >:D<

      Delete
  2. Backreading alot of your posts :)) nice blog!! An really cool layout! I hopw you can check mine too and follow back of you want hehe

    http://thebeautygeekph.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) My layout was made by Charlene Ajose! She's really talented :) Will definitely check out your blog and follow back! :)

      Delete